Turkish Market-USA News

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Kebab Sarma (Serma) Beyti

Photobucket


Inspiring Foods by: Md. Ameenuddin Obaid

Taken in Turkiye



In Turkey, sarma is eaten as an everyday, ordinary dish.
Sarma means 'a wrapped thing' in Turkish language.



Hand-minced meat mixed with cheese and spices served with yogurt tomato sauce and rice.
Once the kebabs are grilled, take a Turkish lavash or a pita bread, lay out the kebabs in a line and spread the cheese and create a roll. 
Bake the roll in an oven for five minutes so that the flavours blend in.
Slice the slightly crusty roll with a slant, lay them out on a plate and pour
in the seasoning of pureed tomato that’s been fried a little followed by white butter and cream.




Its also used with variations and ate during holidays for Crotia, Romania,  Slovenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Serbia, Armenia, Bulgaria, Republic of Macedonia. 
Traditional meal for Christmas and other religious holidays (in Serbia for slava and Easter, in Slovenia and Croatia for New Year's Day, and in Bosnia and Herzegovina for Eid ul-Fitr). 
Traditionally, a pot filled with sarme/sarmale is usually prepared for an entire family. 
Sarma is often served as one of the main dishes during wedding ceremonies. 


As for me, first time I tasted this dish was near Bafra Turkiye.
I was invited to a late dinner, and as I drove up, it would be my first time to meet these people.
Owners of land that had crops, that are sold to big name companies in Turkiye. 
They embraced me like we knew each other forever. It was such a great welcome. 


A huge table was outside and before long was being loaded with so much food, 
turkish salad, watermelon, bread, soups, and a sarma. 
There was alot more turkish food. I never seen so much food before in one table.
Photobucket
I really wanted to stay there. I left some gifts of American soaps, candles, and candies. 
I cried when I left, as it was like they were my own family.
I will always associate sarma with this family. When I go back to Turkiye, this is a must visit place for me. 






Md. Ameenuddin Obaid was very intriqued with this food and we are happy he took this photograph of a celebrated food.
Thank you for bringing me some memories of my traveling the best country for friends, food and its history.
Thank you for letting me use this photo in my blog. 




Here is what may be in it as basic, but is made differently throughout the European countries.

Ingredients:


Minced meat: 1 kg


Green chillies: 40 gm


Garlic: 50 gm


Mozzarella cheese: 50 gm


Curd: 50 gm


Tomato puree: 50 gm


White butter: 50 gm


Preparation


Mix the mince, green chilli paste and garlic paste with salt to taste; roll them into small balls and flatten it on skewers to grill over a charcoal fire.





Inspirational International Cuisine
Featuring Md. Ameenuddin Obaid a world traveler who enjoys international cuisine and using his photo abilities to inspire the soul. 





Inspiring Photo Credit by: Md. Ameenuddin Obaid 





No comments:

Post a Comment